1. Eggs – you can eat one. Or you can eat seven. You can scramble them at home. You can boil them and take them along. And at about $3 a carton at my grocery store, each egg will run you about 25 cents.
2. Apples – they are by far the most enduring fruit; not only are they highly portable, but they stay fresh for at least a week
3. Granola or oatmeal – oatmeal is great because they measure out a serving for you in a neat little package and keep the rest fresh.
4. Whole wheat pasta – as long as you make yourself one serving and not the whole box. The only issue that arises is the dilemma of pasta sauce inexplicably coming in family-size jars.
5. Canned tuna – they keep forever, cost less than a dollar each, and are conveniently sized as one serving. The only stipulation is that you have to actually like canned tuna, and some people don’t.